Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Roasted Root Vegetables with Maple Glaze

Whenever I take my weekly grocery shopping trip, I try to pick up at least one vegetable that is not on my usual list of veggies - I guess you could call it the veggie wild card. I choose whatever looks good. A few weeks ago it was asparagus. This time it was turnips. I never know what it will be until I get there, but that's part of the fun. As soon as I saw the turnips, I had an idea of a recipe I could use them in. When I got home I opened my recipe notebooks and found it. From the March 2008 issue of Cooking Light Magazine, I found a recipe for roasted root vegetables with maple syrup. I am posting the recipe here as it was printed, but you could use any combination of root vegetables or even butternut or acorn squash. I used red potatoes instead of the parsnips. This was so good I have actually made it twice in the past week.

1 1/2 cups (1/2 inch) slices carrot
1 1/2 cups (1/2 inch) slices parsnip
1 1/2 cups (1/2 inch) slices cubed peeled turnip
4 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Prepare 13x9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
  • Combine first six ingredients in baking dish, tossing well to coat vegetables with oil. Bake at 450 for ten minutes, stir in maple syrup. Bake an additional 20 minutes or until tender and golden, stirring after 10 minutes.

Makes 4 servings, 150 calories per serving (4.9 g fat, 1.7 g protein, 3.8 g fiber).

No comments: