Saturday, November 1, 2008

Almost Fat Free Cornbread: What To Do With More Leftover Pumpkin Puree

This is my favorite cornbread recipe. I have been making this one for well over a year, from one of my favorite cookbooks Moosewood Restaurant Low-fat Favorites. It is particularly good for this time of year when there is pumpkin in abundance. While it may not be a problem for most people, I find that I make recipes which don't use a whole can of pumpkin puree, so what to do with the leftovers? This cornbread is the answer. When I make this at other times of the year, I use a 4 or 4.5 oz. jar of baby food, usually sweet potato or squash. You don't even need to measure, just dump in the whole thing, and don't worry about leftovers.

2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 egg whites
3/4 cup nonfat yogurt or buttermilk
1/2 cup pureed cooked pumpkin, sweet potato, or winter squash
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup unbleached white flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare an 8-inch square or 9-inch round baking pan with cooking spray or a light coating of oil or butter.
  • In a large bowl, beat the brown sugar, egg whites, yogurt or buttermilk, and pumpkin (or sweet potato or squash) until frothy. Sift cornmeal, flour, salt, and baking powder into the mixing bowl. Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just mixed.
  • Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. I find it takes a couple minutes longer than the maximum time in my oven. The batter will be very thick and you will have to spread it in the pan with a spoon or spatula.
  • Serve hot or at room temperature.

This makes a delicious, moist cornbread with very little fat. The way I make it, it is 140 calories per piece (cut into 8 pieces). For a low-fat cornbread with a lighter texture, add 1/4 cup of canola oil (or oil of your choice) and 1 egg yolk to the wet ingredients and continue with recipe as listed above. This cornbread is good served with soups, stews, and bean dishes. I also like it for breakfast with honey and a little butter.

No comments: