Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Gourmet Black Beans and Rice

I found this recipe in my mom's little handwritten book of recipes many years ago, and it was one of my favorite dishes when she made it.  I think I must have copied it down for myself when I was about 15 or 16.  I've started making it fairly often and it is delicious and simple. I usually serve the black beans over brown long grain or basmati rice as you see here.

Gourmet Black Beans - serves 4-6
1 cup (1/2 pound) dried black beans (sorted, rinsed and soaked overnight per package directions)
3-4 cups water (I usually use 4 cups, use less if you prefer your beans with less liquid)
1-4 tablespoons of olive oil (I prefer only 1 tablespoon)
1 large onion, chopped
1 4 oz. jar pimientos
salt to taste
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • Drain soaking water off beans, combine beans and water in saucepan.  Cook beans until they are just becoming tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.  
  • Add remaining ingredients and simmer until desired doneness is reached, 20-30 minutes more.
  • Serve over rice.  It is very good plain, or with a little cheese or sour cream.  I usually leave out the onions since my husband doesn't like them and add some onion powder to enhance the flavor.  If dividing the recipe four ways, the beans are about 135 calories per serving (approximately 2/3 cup each) the way I made them.

No comments: