Saturday, November 15, 2008

Split Pea Soup

This is my Mom's recipe for Split Pea Soup.  It is another simple, healthy, frugal meal, similar to the Simple Lentil Stew.  It is good with sandwiches or salad, and any of the breads I've blogged about so far.  

Split Pea Soup (Serves 2-4)
4-5 cups water
1 cup split peas
2 carrots finely diced
2 stalks celery finely diced
1 small onion, finely diced
1 cup noodle style pasta (elbow macaroni, spaghetti , angel hair, or whatever)
pinch of celery seed
salt and black pepper to taste
  • Place water and split peas in a large saucepan.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until peas begin to soften, 25-35 minutes.
  • Add carrots, celery, onion, and seasonings.  Depending on what type of pasta you use, you may want to add it now or wait a few minutes.
  • Cook until all ingredients are tender/done, about another 10-15 minutes.
  • Watch pot closely, and simmer with lid tilted, as split peas have a tendency to boil over easily.  Towards the end of cooking, you may need to stir frequently to prevent burning.
This soup is one of my favorite meals.  I think it is best eaten when freshly made.  It tastes fine leftover, but has a tendency to turn into a split pea brick in the refrigerator.  If you do have some left, you will need to add a little water when reheating.  Whatever pasta I choose, I always add a 2 oz. (one) serving.  I used penne this time, so I added it with the veggies since it takes longer to cook.  The recipe should make approximately 4 cups of soup at 175 calories per cup.

No comments: