Sunday, November 2, 2008

Simple Lentil Stew

My Mom has been making lentil stew for as long as I can remember. I didn't really appreciate it that much when I was a kid. It just wasn't exciting enough then, but it appeals much more to me now and I realized I actually missed having it. Its a very simple, frugal meal to make and it doesn't take much time or effort. It goes great with the Almost Fat Free Cornbread or the Basic Hearth Bread, or whatever kind of sandwich you might like to have with it. It is also low in calories (about 100 calories per cup), fat free, high in fiber (13 grams per cup) and provides a good amount of protein (11 grams per cup).

Makes about 8 cups
7 cups water
2 cups lentils, rinsed and sorted
4 medium carrots, peeled if desired and chopped no more than 1/4 inch wide
4 ribs celery, chopped
1 medium onion, diced (I leave out the onion since my husband doesn't like them)
OR 1 tsp onion powder
1 teaspoon garam masala
1/4-1/2 teaspoon celery seed
salt and pepper to taste
  • Place water, lentils and cut veggies in a large pot, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Add the seasonings after the first 10-15 minutes of cooking. Simmer until lentils and veggies are tender, approximately 20 minutes.
Seasoning amounts are approximate, I usually just sprinkle things in without measuring them. Play around with the seasonings and add whatever you like. My Mom never made the stew with the garam masala, but I find it adds a nice flavor.

No comments: